Chocolate Taperia, North Adelaide

Finally, a joint in Adelaide that specialises in churros! If you’ve ever been interstate, more likely than not you’ve had the chance to pop into the every so popular San Churro and treat yourself to their amazing churros and hot dipping chocolate sauce. Churros are Spanish donuts; they’re a deep fried pastry often dusted with cinnamon sugar and/or icing sugar and then dipped in hot chocolate – white, milk or dark. Dark is my preference – the bitter, the better! πŸ˜‰

Chocolate Taperia opened its doors on the start of the financial year and has amassed a large number of Facebook likes and followers which has generated a lot of buzz in the cyber stratosphere. Naturally, my sweet tooth got the better of me and a plan to visit the joint was in motion. Psst, do yourself a favour and make a booking via phone or Facebook if you wanna check this place out cause it was filled to the brim once we arrived with some patrons braving the cold outside with CT’s portable gas heaters in full force.

The interior is a cohesive mixture of rustic and antique decor: polished wooden floor boards, large antique chairs, mosaic light fixtures and tea light candles on each table. Both walls are lined with booths, one side with bigger booths for larger groups and the other, a more cozier and intimate space with sheer curtains dividing each booth up. Onwards to their food:

chocolate taperia, churros, chilli chocolate, spanish donuts, melbourne street
Chilli hot chocolate
Taperia: Fresh fruto, Alfajores (Argentinian shortbread), and chico churros served with chocolate dipping sauce; $19.00

We ordered the taperia platter thinking it’d be best to try a variety of things on offer at Chocolate Taperia with the churros being a prerequisite. The platter arrives, and it’s kind of… small. :/

Things don’t get any better from hereon in >.<; unfortunately, the general consensus is that the churros are plain, thick and doughy; and the accompanying chocolate sauce didn’t help much either with it being way too thick and gluggy. We reluctantly try to finish off the churros but leave some behind not wanting to consume any unnecessary extra calories, especially if it wasn’t worth that extra km needed to burn it off (haha!). I thought that they were frugal on the fruit (2 x strawberries and 4 x blueberries) and the shortbread didn’t get that much love either. One bite each and the rest was left untouched (although we did manage to give one away to our buddy K who was also there that night).

Lovely decor, friendly service but I’m not sold on their desserts. For those that have been, what did you think?

Chocolate Taperia
5/168 Melbourne Street
North Adelaide SA 5006
P 0403 322 881

Opening hours
Mon-Sun 7pm-Late

View Larger Map Chocolate Taperia on Urbanspoon

10 comments for “Chocolate Taperia, North Adelaide

1. July 26, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I actually wanted to try this place but a friend of mine went and she said it wasn’t that great, that stopped me from going. San Churros ftw πŸ™‚

2. July 26, 2012 at 11:59 PM

I love Churros and those look amazing!

3. misst82
    July 29, 2012 at 12:03 AM

overpriced and overated they forgot our coffees so we finished our desserts and our coffees hadnt come yet

4. August 9, 2012 at 7:32 AM

I’ve been to Chocolate Taperia a few times now, I really liked it, but I agree I found a few of their things a little underwhelming and they are a bit more expensive for what you get.

I probably wouldn’t choose a tasting platter again, as like you said they’re a bit small, and not everything kept me too interested.

But I like their other desserts like the creme catalana and the cafetal. I also loved their hot chocolates, and of course the whole interior.

August 10, 2012 at 12:22 AM

I love their interior but unfortunately that’s not enough to bring me back! There’s just too many other places to try instead. Anyways, thanks for dropping by and love your work on your blog! πŸ˜‰

5. K
    August 23, 2012 at 3:08 AM

Said shortbread was passed on to boy C who also shared our unenthusiastic sentiments. Have you tried the churros from the ChurrOZ mobile van?? They are the best I’ve had in Adelaide (www.churroz.com.au)

August 23, 2012 at 3:47 AM

I’m glad we’re all on the same page! πŸ˜‰ and yes I have tried the churros from ChurrOZ and am in full agreement with you. Best in Adelaide thus far but we need a San Churros… stat!

6. September 24, 2012 at 5:45 AM

We had the same platter and another one which was just sweet galore. It was sugar, sugar, sugar until you couldn’t taste anything else. It had a condensed milk tartlet as well which was a mini pastry case just filled with condensed milk! It also had very sweet shortbread and sweet caramel dipping sauce. I was feeling the spots pushing their way out by the end of the night. I agree it is very pricey for what they serve and the food still needs some tweaking!

September 25, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Sugar overload doesn’t sound like fun! I have yet to hear positive reviews about this place from friends so a visit won’t be on the agenda anytime soon. Thanks for dropping by nevertheless! πŸ˜€