Sunflower Vietnamese Restaurant, Croydon Park

Quick pit stop before a movie session down west at Sunflower Vietnamese Restaurant on Days Road. Upon arrival, we were left standing at the door for a solid 5 minutes with waiters bustling past us constantly with no acknowledgement. :/ Now, we were left with the dilemma of just leaving the premises and looking elsewhere to find a quick feed during the interim before the movie starts, or taking things into our own hands and seating ourselves. Before we could come to a decision (we’re rather indecisive people, hehe), a waitstaff finally‚Ķ finally seated us and presented us with their menus.

sunflower vietnamese restaurant

Word of mouth from friends have talked this place up saying that the food is pretty damn good. Unfortunately for the pair of us, we had no idea on what was good and what was bad sooooo.. what to order?! We started off with an entree of bbq quails.

sunflower vietnamese restaurant, quails
BBQ quails; $7.90

Small and rather expensive, I thought; thankfully the marinade was flavoursome and fragrant but not enough to mask the overcooked meat which was dry and tough.

Next up, prawn toast and two dishes from the specials blackboard.

sunflower vietnamese restaurant
Prawn toast; $5.50, steamed rice $2.00 per person,
soft shell crab in tamarind and plum sauce; $17.90, sizzling crocodile in spicy sauce; $17.90

The prawn toast was abysmal. Oily, bland and unappetising. The special mains were sub par as well. The soft shell crab was drenched in the tamarind and plum sauce thereby rendering the soft shell crab to a soggy and soft mess. The sizzling crocodile was average with a mix of chopped up vegetables drowned in a so-called spicy sauce that didn’t even register on the spice radar. Not only was it your average asian stir fry that you can pick up at your local asian take away store, the smell permeated through our clothes and my hair for the rest of the night! My tip? Steer clear from their specials menu!

After our uneventful dinner, N notified me that we ordered the wrong items on the menu (go figure), so the plan is to tag along with her next time and let her take reigns on the ordering side of things. I’m willing to give it one more shot, just one more, even with their crappy service and all. Hmph!

Food: 2/5

Thu-Fri, Sun 11am-2.30pm, 5pm-Late

View Larger Map Sunflower Vietnamese Restaurant on Urbanspoon

10 comments for “Sunflower Vietnamese Restaurant, Croydon Park

1. Amanda
    October 31, 2012 at 4:18 AM

Been there….hated it!
    I went years ago….seems as if things haven’t changed

November 1, 2012 at 11:20 PM

That’s the worse! Going out for a meal and the meal ends up being a blunder! Do you have any recommendations on where to have amazing Vietnamese food? :)

2. Judy
    November 1, 2012 at 6:27 AM

We used to go there occasionally before the New Furniture: the night they changed over the old furniture for the new may well have been the last meal we enjoyed there.
    We used to order a steamboat, usually seafood, and liked them very much.
    Our next visit after the New Furniture they had installed a big TV: my heart sank. They then started not remembering that we had been there before: we stopped going back.
    I suspect there was a massive change in attitude between the old and the new- the very young and charmingly incompetent waitresses felt more important and the cooks relaxed from the old standards. There was a decrease in the pleasure of eating there, and it became too far from Plympton to bother.

November 1, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Maybe they got comfortable and after building a loyal following, they started to slack off. Or maybe, they’re not operating under new management? Either way, what a shame cause I have heard great things about it.. but like I mentioned in the post, I will give it a go another time. Just not anytime soon I don’t think. Hehe, thanks for dropping by and commenting! :)

3. Amanda
    November 5, 2012 at 12:03 AM

I love Vietname Sunrise only Henely Beach Road. It’s always busy there so book if you want to go for tea. I also heard along the grape vine (not sure how true it is) that the same people are opening a place on Prospect Road under a similar name (sorry I can’t remember it) but there is signage on the window saying that it is opening soon.

November 6, 2012 at 4:33 AM

Oh yes, I’ve been there before and did enjoy lunch. My friend told me about the new place on Prospect Road which has just opened as I saw quite a crowd there over the weekend. Looks like it might be worth a visit! Thanks! ;)

4. Phuongie
    November 8, 2012 at 6:35 AM

I think their Chao Tom/Nem Nuong was quite nice. I also had the Salt & Pepper Flounder. Lol I think you just had all the wrong things.

November 9, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Damn it, what a waste of a meal as well cause it wasn’t cheap either! :(

5. Vivina
    November 14, 2012 at 3:04 PM

there is Saigon House opened 6months ago at para vista , food nice too..