Ky Chow, Chinatown, Adelaide

Every now and then we’ll head out for something cheap, dirty and nasty – as in food I mean. :P

Chinese food often falls under that category so I let the stranger take charge as I don’t dine out for Chinese food all that often, aside from dumplings and yum cha that is. Ky Chow was the pick for that evening so I also let him take charge of the ordering since he was the one that was craving for a few of their dishes.

ky chow
Garlic and butter sauce with baked prawn; $14.90

Not the most presentable dish, this was a plate of gloopy gloppy mess. So much butter sauce that the prawns were drowning in them. Each prawn that I reluctantly picked out from the pool of artery clogging thick sauce was vigorously shaken to remove the excess so I could enjoy the prawn itself. They were plump and juicy but the sauce was overbearingly rich and buttery – let’s just say, I wasn’t a fan.

ky chow
Shanghai’s special spare ribs; $13.90

These ribs were an improvement from the prawns; sticky caramelised marinated sauce coated each rib well and the meat was chewy and tasty albeit a bit on the dry side. They do require you to get your fingers a bit dirty.

ky chow
Chinese leaf broccoli, watercress with garlic; $9.90

Some necessary greens to balance out our diet. Too bad the sauce was so salty that it overpowered the entire dish and made most of it inedible. I spent most of my time picking out the non sauced greens to have. :)

Let’s say that I won’t be coming back here anytime soon! The food was mediocre at best and the service was average. I’m not a huge fan of Chinese cuisine but if you’ve got a suggestion then throw them my way. I’m always up for a cheap and tasty meal. :)

Ky Chow
27 Gouger Street
Adelaide SA 5000
P 08 8221 5411

Ky Chow on Urbanspoon

7 comments for “Ky Chow, Chinatown, Adelaide

1. Ann
    April 22, 2014 at 9:40 AM

It’s not Chinese, but have you eaten at Gin Long Canteen yet? It’s our favourite place at the moment. Best dishes so far are red duck curry and crispy pork hock (on the specials board). I don’t think you will be disappointed. Go early or book for 6 or more!

April 22, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Yes I have Ann, I went there during the first few weeks of them opening: http://www.dbites.com/2013/12/17/gin-long-canteen-north-adelaide/ – and surprisingly, I didn’t enjoy the food at all. Since then, I have given them some time and after much enthusiasm and recommendations from friends, I went back. An improvement to the food but service was lacking and rushed so I’m still not too keen on this place. Oh well, at least I gave them another go. Thanks for the suggestion anyways! I did enjoy their red duck curry on my second visit. :)

• Ann
        April 22, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Oh wow, our experience has been completely the opposite. The staff have been very efficient but friendly and I have eaten there on 5 occasions now. We were remembered on our second and subsequent visits by the head waiter (I assume she is!). I can’t wait to go back. :)

2. April 22, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Had some good Chinese at Ba Guo Bu Yi on Gouger St on Sunday night. Especially good if you like a bit of chilli heat in your food. The veges in particular were great – lovely cucumber salad, excellent chilli porky beans. It was packed to the rafters but the service was still attentive.

April 22, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Oh cool, thanks! I have heard good things about this place. I’ll keep it in mind. :)

3. April 22, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Not surprised at all. I stopped dining out for Chinese food here in Adelaide since some 8 years ago because Tina can cook better ones at home :P :D and the dishes can have reduced saltiness which I can’t stand these days. Plus, the so-called “Chinese” food is a modified version of Cantonese food which is not the main stream of the Chinese food anyway, which is mainly enjoyed in Canton and Hongkong region.

I love Sichuan cuisine which can be really hot sometime but again better ones at home. Tried Ba Guo Bu Yi with my boss one year and nah, their fish is not fresh. You can taste it.

April 22, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Lucky you have Tina to cook for you! I, unfortunately, do not have that luxury. Thanks for the tips! :)